You already know what a toothbrush can do for your smile, but it’s also an unexpected beauty powerhouse—and when you realize how incredibly versatile it can be, you’ll pick up an extra one from the drugstore. Here, ten unexpected ways to use this bathroom staple:
1. Exfoliate lips: Swiping your lips with a toothbrush will get rid of rough spots for smooth lipstick application. Use a mix of olive oil and brown sugar to create a quick lip exfoliator for added moisture.
2. Tame flyaways: Spritz a toothbrush with hair spray or gel to settle any loose hairs. It’s also a great tool to brush your bangs into place without getting product on your face.
3. Ban tan: Erase self-tanner from your hands with a toothbrush. You can use a mixture of baking soda, water, and lemon juice to remove any evidence.
4. Embolden brows: Bigger eyebrows are a trend from the runway. Get the look by using a toothbrush to train unruly brows to stay put. If they are too wild to be tamed, use the brush to apply a setting gel.
5. Splatter paint: Create graffiti-inspired nail art using a toothbrush to splatter polish. Layer different colors to get a Jackson Pollock-esque design.
6. Back-comb bandit: Add volume to any style with a toothbrush. Tease hair at the crown using a toothbrush from mid-strand to roots.
7. Clean sweep: Keep your cuticles in smooth shape by exfoliating with a toothbrush and applying an oil or balm. You can also use the tool to clean underneath the tips.
8. Banish lint: The lint in your brush and comb can be hard to clean. Reach for your toothbrush to wipe it away in beauty tools such as clippers and hair-dryers.
9. Lush lashes: A fan brush works well to separate lashes. Don’t have one? A toothbrush will work just as well. Wiggle it gently from root to tip to get clump-free eyelashes.
10. High life: Touch up roots or dapple in highlights using a toothbrush to apply hair color. The small brush gives you maximum control.