Anna Wintour, fashion’s reigning queen, is now fashion’s latest buzz. Wintour has held the position of Editor-in-Chief of American Vogue since 1988, but recently, she was also named the Artistic Director for Condé Nast. In honour of her ever-expanding influence over the fashion world, I’ve put together 10 of the very best Wintour quotes.
1. “There is something about fashion that can make people really nervous.”
2. “If you look at any great fashion photograph out of context, it will tell you just as much about what’s going on in the world as a headline in The New York Times.”
3. “Fashion is not beautiful, neither is it ugly. Why should it be either? Fashion is fashion.”
4. “There’s a new kind of woman out there…She doesn’t have time to shop anymore. She wants to know what and why and where and how.”
5. “Fashion’s not about looking back. It’s always about looking forward.”
6. “You can’t really worry too much…about what the competition is doing or what other people in your field are doing. It has to be a true vision.”
7. “[The democratization of luxury] means more people are going to get better fashion. And the more people who can have fashion, the better.”
8. “It’s always about timing. If it’s too soon, no one understands. If it’s too late, everyone’s forgotten.”
9. “Create your own style… let it be unique for yourself and yet identifiable for others.”
10. “You either know fashion or you don’t.”
What’s your favorite Wintour-ism? Tell us in the comments below!