Last week a study found that New York City was deemed the unhappiest city in America. While this may come as a surprise to some, us New Yorkers have a lot of not-so-pleasant things that we deal with on a daily basis. From tiny apartments and traffic-filled commutes to the lingering smell of city air, life in the Big Apple isn’t as glamorous as Carrie Bradshaw made it look.
Here are some of the not-so-chic things that the women of New York have to endure:
1) No matter how much Chanel No. 5 you spray, nothing will ever conceal the awful smell of the subway in the summertime.
2) You thought it would be practical to wear a chic pair of flat sandals—until the bottoms of your feet turned black from the dirty city streets.
3) With fast-paced commutes that mimick an obstacle course competition, those sandals won’t even last an entire summer without wear and tear.
4) Attempting to navigate through Meatpacking District or West Village side streets in heels is a constant battle—cobblestone and stilettos do not mix.
5) Orthopedic problems are likely inevitable due to your refusal to wear “commuter shoes” or anything below 4-inch heels.
9) At least 10 people will get a peek up your dress or skirt when walking up and down the subway stairs.
10) In the summertime your hair will frizz to five times its normal width and your makeup will melt off faster than you can order an UberX.
11) The day you choose to break in those new Manolo Blahnik pumps is the same day you walk through a mysterious puddle emitting a questionable smell.
12) Walking through the snow and on icy sidewalks in the winter is a death trap, no matter what kind of footwear you’re wearing (probably heels).
13) Your first apartment will not look anything like Carrie Bradshaw’s. Your second and third apartments won’t either. In fact, everything Carrie Bradshaw told you was basically a lie.